Niantic has started testing a new Pokémon tracking feature with a small percent of users.
Note: The new tracker is currently being tested and changes may happen before it rolls out to all users. The features explained in this post are the current test versions as of August 9th, 2016.
- Nearby Pokémon are now be displayed with an image background of the closest PokéStop near them.
- Tapping a Pokémon in the nearby list shows a larger image of the PokéStop and Pokémon along with a "view" button.
- Clicking the "view" button will zoom out the map giving a much larger view of the surrounding area. An icon along with a footstep counter will appear on the map showing where the Pokémon and PokéStop are located.
- The Pokémon will be found right next to the PokéStop in a similar range to that of Lures.
- If the Pokémon flees before you reach them a message will be displayed informing you that it fled.
- "Sightings" have replaced the nearby menu and these Pokémon can be found in the wild as normal. However, the list updates and removes despawned Pokémon much quicker than previously.
Video of the new tracker in action.
Image Sources: Reddit